Sunday, June 04, 2006

Accepting a Splendid Torch

I stopped crying for Sue’s pass away as her laughter is still at my earshot. Sue burned her torch as bright as possible before she handed it over to each of us.

Last winter solstice, Sue quoted Marianne Williamson, “as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” This was my first impression on her in December 2004. As the MPA program director, she spoke critically that her program was not for everyone while actively listened to many participants’ career aspirations. Her wisdom was beyond an academic program but life enlightening advice.

In the fall, I embraced her caring just like my mom’s—though distanced but with deep trust. From paper writing tips, speed reading techniques, to leadership skills, she had them all before I even asked. She was always there for me, and not only me. Her smiles had the magic to empower me with the confidence to deal with whatever difficulties that I had to face.

Then it was her time to encounter the test for life. Having walked the thin line myself eight years ago, I believed that Sue would have to but thrive just like Lance Armstrong. As Dean Ellwood put it, “Sue represented the heart and soul of the Kennedy School.” We could not afford the fall of a shining star. I organized the Blue Book project collecting our classmates’ notes and pictures to support Sue’s fighting for cancer. When I handed over the blue book last day before I left Cambridge, I envisioned Sue rejoining our MPA seminar for good drinks and conversations…

It all happened so soon. Reading notes and pictures again from those who could not physically contribute to the Blue Book, I share their love for Sue from Romania, Venezuela, Laos and etc. Now, how I wish that I could be in Cambridge, closer to Sue. No more tears in desert for sailboat_97. I shine with Sue’s light and I accept the splendid torch Sue has passed on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»